More modern forms of Tatting include Needle-Tatting and Cro-Tatting, both which use special needles and hooks instead of the traditional shuttle.
Some other types of fine lace made by hand are:
- Needle lace: made by hand with a needle and sometimes a frame
- Fillet lace: a netting based lace that is embroidered and filled
- Embroidered lace: lacework embroidered over another fabric
- Bobbin or pillow lace: made with bobbins, pins and a pillow
- Knitted lace: made with fine knitting needles
- Crochet lace: made with a fine crochet hook